The Kona builds on over a decade of PPG wing design, and is the perfect wing in the OZONE range for beginner-intermediate PPG pilots who need a wing that excels in free-flight.
Based on the Buzz Z5, which is one of the most popular wings in our range, the Kona features cutting edge performance technology in a platform that is exceedingly comfortable under power or in free-flight.
The Kona is equipped with the same performance enhancing design features that have pushed the latest iterations of Rush, Delta, Mantra, and Enzo series wings to the top of their class. Most notably, it features a totally new SharkNose profile and leading edge. Proved to be one of the most significant recent technological breakthroughs, the patented SharkNose profile improves performance, solidity and handling characteristics at all angles of attack and airspeeds.
Aerodynamically, the Kona profile and sail are very clean. It has been designed with the latest generation software to generate cells that are better aligned to the airflow, reducing profile drag and wing tip vortices. The sail has been further optimised with double 3D shaping for a cleaner leading edge and three extra cells for a better top surface without the addition of extra lines. A new internal structure and optimised line layout has allowed these three extra cells to be added without additional lines or increased wing weight.
The Kona’s aspect ratio remains the same as the Buzz PWR. Increasing aspect ratio is a simple method of increasing performance, but leads to significant compromises in passive safety. Therefore, we do not believe in pushing this important design consideration. Instead, we have focused on reducing sail drag, optimising the line layout, reducing the overall line drag, and creating newly-shaped SharkNose cell openings to push the Kona’s performance to the top of the category without compromising safety. The performance enhancing features of the Kona can be considered “free upgrades”, as they increase glide and speed without reducing passive safety.
COMFORT AND PROGRESSION
Above all else, the Kona is easy and comfortable to fly. The handling is intuitive, fun, and agile, with a progressive and precise feel. It is highly compact, with perfectly coordinated roll and yaw in the climb. In active air, the feedback from the wing is gentle and predictable; filtering air movements in an understandable way. All of these factors provide you with the confidence to progress under power or in free-flight.
Launching is a critical part of each and every flight, and we have paid particular attention to the ground-handling characteristics of the Kona. It inflates smoothly, without overshooting in higher wind speeds. Even in zero wind conditions, there is no tendency for the wing to hang back. In stronger winds it inflates progressively with less tendency to “shoot up” and pull the pilot off their feet. The excellent launch behaviour is due in part to the SharkNose profile, which outperforms the behaviour of traditional leading edge designs as the wing transitions through the inflation and launch process.
In the air, the Kona’s turn is more progressive, allowing you to center lift and tighten the turn with higher precision and spin/stall resistance. Overall, the sail has more cohesion and the profile is more stable in active air compared to all of our previous wings in this category.
The Kona is suitable for a wide range of pilots from talented beginners to the most experienced – the principle consideration is that this wing is designed to fly under power part of the time, and in free-flight part of the time. Pilots who switch back and forth often and tend to log 30-50 free-flight hours per year will find the Kona to be ideal.
The Kona ships with next-gen PPG risers, featuring a smooth trim system, a new stronger brake handle attachment system, and a new brake line pulley. The system is adjustable in height and suitable for any type of harness hang point and pilot preference. The “A” risers are color coded for easy identification.
FROM THE OZONE R&D TEAM
The OZONE R&D Team – Dav, Luc, Russ, Fred, and Honorin – fly every day we can. We enjoy flying and testing the entire range of wings, but the Beginner-Intermediate Series wings are the most challenging and fun to develop. The challenge lies in meeting the demanding design goals of balancing performance, comfort, ease of use, and safety, without compromise. The Kona represents a special combination of features that have been blended together in a unique manner to achieve what we believe to be an impressive balance. It is a wing with a playful character that any pilot of intermediate ability or higher will enjoy flying, and is a solid and dependable base to progress with safely. We hope you have as much fun flying it as we have. Fly safe, from all the Team.
*Cette voile a passé les critères DGAC et a été testée en charge selon la norme EN 926-1. En plus de nos tests rigoureux, elle a aussi été testée indépendamment selon la norme EN 926-2 uniquement avec les trims en position lente. Relâcher les trims, ou voler en dehors en plage de poids EN, invalide toute conformité à la norme EN 926-2.
Telle que délivrée, la voile n’est pas conforme au standard EN 926-2, en raison de la présence des trims sur les élévateurs.
Options de Couleurs
Contenu du package
Your OZONE wing is delivered standard with the following accessories:
Easy Bag, Inner Bag, Glider Strap, Speed Bar, Riser Bag, OZONE Stickers, Repair Cloth, OZONE Keyring.
You may choose to add something to your order, such as: Easy Bag (stuff bag), Light Easy bag (video), Saucisse Bag (video) (concertina packing bag), Glider Backpack, or OZONE Clothing and Accessories.
|Nombre de cellules||48||48||48||48||48||48|
|Surface projetée (m2)||18.7||20.3||21.8||23||24.5||26.5|
|Surface à plat (m2)||22.2||24.1||25.8||27.3||29||31.3|
|Envergure projetée (m)||8.23||8.57||8.87||9.12||9.4||9.78|
|Envergure à plat (m)||10.69||11.14||11.52||11.85||12.22||12.71|
|Allongement à plat||5.16||5.16||5.16||5.16||5.16||5.16|
|Poids de l'aile||4.75||5||5.31||5.53||5.78||6.2|
|PPG (DGAC) weight range (kg)||55-100||65-115||75-130||85-145||95-160||110-180|
|Load test 5.25G up to||270 kg||270 kg||270 kg||270 kg||270 kg||270 kg|
|LTF / EN*||B*||B*||B*||B*||B*||B*|
|PG (EN) Weight Range (kg)||55-70||65-85||75-95||85-105||95-115||110-130|
|Load test 8G up to||178kg||178kg||178kg||178kg||178kg||178kg|
- Top Surface Cloth: Dominico 30D MF
- Bottom Surface Cloth: Dominico 30D MF
- Rib cloth: Dominico 30D MF
- Upper lines: Edelrid 8000U-090/070
- Mid lines: Edelrid 8000U-130/090/070
- Lower Lines: PPSL200/160/120
- Manual: EN
- Manual: FR
- Manual: DE
Notes du Concepteur
The Kona is an accessible wing which offers a beautiful balance of comfort, forgiveness, and stability for entry level pilots and at the same time precise handling and performance potential that will reward more advanced pilots. The Kona is based on the Buzz Z5.
NEW FEATURES (COMPARED TO BUZZ PWR)
- We were able to further optimise the sail and add 3 cells without the addition of extra lines, thus increasing sail cohesion and precision without additional drag.
- We used improved software to generate the sail which resulted in improved airflow for each single rib, thus reducing profile drag and vortex.
- The Kona is generated with a higher arc than previously. As a result, tension in the wing is increased for a better feel and better authority in the turn.
- OZONE SharkNose profile: On the Kona you immediately feel the benefit in the progressivity in the turn and increased forgiveness in deep brake input compared to its predecessor. This also allows the Kona to achieve a higher level of usability and solidity in accelerated flight. Inflation has been improved with quicker rise and less effort required.
- We have also improved the surface of the leading edge with the use of double 3D shaping.
- The Kona is made with a combination of sheathed riser lines and unsheathed upper galleries. By using a more advanced material for the riser lines and optimising line tension we have managed to reduce the overall line drag by 13%.
- Performance increase is up to half a point better than the Buzz PWR at all speeds.
- The risers are fitted with super smooth Ronstan ball bearing pulleys which makes using the speed bar a joy. With the increased stability and performance at speed, the Kona is even more of an XC machine.
- Despite the addition of 3 more cells, we managed to keep the weight of the Kona as low as the Buzz Power was.