A WING FOR THE PROS
The Magnum series has been used by more professional tandem pilots around the world over the past 5 years than any other wing. We are proud of the Magnum’s legacy and it has been a very difficult job to improve upon the original design. Our goals were to maintain the best characteristics of the original Magnum while making it even easier to fly.
The Magnum II was more than three years in development, and has been tested thoroughly in all flyable conditions; from high wind launches to tail wind launches, high mountain air to coastal soaring and everything in between. Like the original Magnum, it is strong and versatile enough for any professional tandem pilot, and excels in all conditions.
What professional pilots will notice first when flying the Magnum II, is an easier launch due to a much lighter sail. Incredibly, without reducing the wing’s strength or durability we have reduced the weight by 640g. This has improved not only the inflation and launch, but the in-flight behaviour as well. The next obvious improvement is the reduced brake pressure. Pro pilots will appreciate the easier feel in turns and also a more sensitive and easily accessed flare for soft landings.
With a slightly increased aspect ratio and 6 more cells, the Magnum II outperforms the original not only in comfort and ease of use, but also in glide performance and climb efficiency. A new line plan has allowed an 18% reduction in line drag, allowing you and your passenger more time in the air, if you want it. And if you don’t, the proven “Ear-Blocker” system will get you down quickly and easily.
What passengers will notice (or not notice, as the case may be) is the smoothest tandem ride that we’ve ever felt. An increase in overall efficiency has also improved the “smoothness” of the ride, with better behaviour in active conditions.
We are confident that the new Magnum II will satisfy the world’s most demanding pro pilots, and we look forward to hearing your impressions of this exciting new wing.
The Magnum 2 comes with the standard “Hard” spreaders included. Alternate “Soft” or “Light” spreaders can be added to your order.
OZONE offers a range of backpack choices when you order your wing. To change the type of backpack that will come with your wing, please speak with your OZONE Dealer.
Your OZONE wing is delivered standard with the following accessories:
185 L (1590 g) (Extra Large) Backpack, Inner Bag, Glider Strap, OZONE Stickers, Repair Cloth, OZONE Keyring and OZONE dual hangpoint Spreader Bars.
You may choose to add something to your order, such as: Saucisse Bag (video) (concertina packing bag), Easy Bag (quick stuff sack), or OZONE Clothing and Accessories.
|Number of cells||52||52|
|Projected area (m2)||34.9||32.3|
|Flat Area (m^2)||41||38|
|Projected Span (m)||11.55||11.12|
|Flat Span (m)||14.67||14.12|
|Projected Aspect Ratio||3.82||3.82|
|Flat Aspect Ratio||5.25||5.25|
|Root Chord (m)||3.5||3.4|
|Glider Weight (kg)||8.37||8|
|In-flight Weight Range (kg)**||130-220||110-185|
|EN / LTF||B||B|
- Top Surface Cloth: Dominico 30D MF
- Bottom Surface Cloth: Dominico 30D MF
- Rib cloth: Skytex 40 Hard
- Upper lines: Liros DSL70/140
- Mid lines: Liros DSL140 / Edelrid 6843-200
- Lower Lines: Edelrid 6843-340/200
The design philosophy of the Magnum II is identical to the original Magnum: The ultimate professional tandem wing.
The new Magnum is just as easy to launch and land, but offers more than its predecessor: Better handling, lighter brake pressure, a lighter sail, better performance, and a more comfortable ride for your passengers.
- The aspect ratio is slightly increased, from 5.1 to 5.25, and we have added 6 more cells (for a new total of 52). As a result, the glide performance is improved by half a point, but more importantly, the pure sink rate and the climb efficiency has been significantly improved.
- The Magnum II is lighter than the Magnum, by 640g! This is thanks to a new structure, a new leading edge with nylon rod reinforcement, and a significantly optimised sail construction.
- Despite a lighter sail, there has been no sacrifice to the backbone of the structure, and we have done nothing to compromise the longevity of one of the best tandem wings available. The same number of attachment points means equal loads for each section of the wing, and we have even added some extra patches to minimize the deformation in the load bias above the A’s.
- Diagonal ribs are joined together without leaving any gaps where loads could stress an inappropriate area of the sail. We have also added a wide strap running along the span around the C region to minimize the sail movement and “breathing”, therefore reducing the mechanical aging process.
- Line drag has been reduced by 18% thanks to the new structure and new rigging, in addition to an excellent new line material (Edelrid sheathed Aramid).
- The trimmer range has been extended, to allow for a slower trim speed – this increases comfort and efficiency while flying with heavy passengers.
- The Magnum II comes standard with “Ear-blockers” for simple hands free descent using Big-Ears