The World’s Lightest Certifiable Paraglider
The lightest materials and manufacturing techniques, slightly reducing surface area, and simplifying the wing concept has lead to the Ultralite’s exceptionally low weight. However, this is the easy part. The Ultralite’s high passive safety, ease of use, and excellent launch characteristics were the result of many prototypes and fine tuning by the Ozone test team.
- Material: Porcher Skytex 27g, the highest quality extreme-light cloth available.
- Unsheathed lines: Dyneema uppers and UV-Treated Aramid lowers provide excellent performance and longevity.
- During testing of the Element, we noticed that it behaved extraordinarily well when flown well over the intended weight range. This lead to the most obvious solution to reducing weight: reducing the glider size. The 23m and 25m sizes are both extremely easy to use, and have excellent sink rates even at the top of the Ultralite’s weight range.
- Manufacturing. The manufacturing process had to be completely refined to reduce weight. Each part of the wing has been optimised without sacrificing too much strength, and the UltraLite has been certified by the LTF load test, at 8G minimum strength!
- Risers. Dyneema cord, looped directly to the main lines with no maillons, resulting in only 160gm total weight for the pair, including brake handles! In contrast, a normal set of risers weighs 500gms!
- The Overall Concept! Currently the paraglider market offers many choices; you can have a relatively light wing, which offers good 1-2 performance but weighs 2kg more, or a mini wing which could be even lighter than the Ultralite, but comparatively difficult to launch and with far less performance.
- The Harness. The Oxygen1 harness was designed with comfort in mind. Comfort while flying, and also while hiking. At just 1.3kg, it is light for a harness and bag combination, but features click buckles, generously padded leg and back support, and a comfortably sized storage compartment.
- All of this means that instead of having all of the leg straps permanently sewn to save a few grams, which can result in a nightmare on launch if you are trying to get into it with crampons or boots on, we have chosen light weight buckles and colour coordinated leg straps. The padding on the back and inside the legs makes the Oxygen1 the lightweight harness that you can fly comfortably for hours. After all, if the wing is soarable, the harness should be as well!