The Magnum is a completely new concept in design, and shares very little in common with our previous tandem wings. The Magnum’s mission is to deliver total ease of use, solid performance, high durability, and the excellent handling that professional tandem pilots want and need.
Professional tandem pilots need a glider that makes their job easy. The wing must have a progressive and light inflation with very smooth pitch, and the best flare possible for easy landings in even the worst conditions.
Those features are the crucial basics, but we wanted to take it a few steps further, and add the performance and handling that would convince the professionals that the Magnum is the only tandem wing to fly. The feedback is that the Magnum is the easiest tandem available, and has the best handling possible, and after more than a year sales of the Magnum have not decreased, and that says it all.
The final factor is durability to ensure a long working life. The line plan of the glider and the materials that we have used guarantee that the Magnum will deliver its performance for many seasons of full time professional work.
- New airfoil. The profile that we used is a new one, developed especially for the Magnum. It took a year of testing to achieve the results we wanted: stable pitch, which is important for a progressive inflation and easy landing; solid performance; and light brake pressure.
-New internal structure to prevent deformation in the sail and in the lines, for long term performance and durability. This means more line attachment points on the glider, to allow less stress on each line and less mechanical tension on each tab and rib. All unsupported sections of the gliders are reinforced with diagonals, which meet at the top surface, completing the load cycle without stressing other sections of the sail.
- Top surface Skytex 45 Evolution, for 2 reasons :
1. This material is lighter: this is an important factor when carrying heavy tandem equipment, and for in-flight handling as well.
2. It is also a stiffer cloth, meaning less material deformation and more longevity. It also yields crisper handling and a lighter feel in the turn.
- Smaller size. The Magnum is a smaller size than our previous tandems. We’ve chosen to reduce the size for a lighter sail, lighter brake pressure, and better handling. It’s small size is one of the factors that makes the Magnum feel almost like a solo wing overhead. Performance has not been sacrificed in this size reduction due to the new profile.
- 4 more cells for a cleaner sail.
- Increased Aspect Ratio. From 4.7 (Mc Daddy) to 5.1
- 40m reduction in overall line length.
- The Sail tension has been reduced and more carefully balanced across the span of the wing, which has lead to lighter brake pressure and a smoother in flight feel.